We need all the friends
we can get.
How can you help?
Your contribution and interest are vital to the Rail Trail.
You may assist the committee in maintaining the trail and improving the ambiance of the area by:
- Making an annual donation of $20 for families and $10 for individuals
- Regularly assisting on the work parties, which are held along the trail each Tuesday morning
What’s in it for you?
Besides the satisfaction of assisting this great community project and seeing it come to fruition, you will enjoy the companionship of fellow walkers, cyclists, and friends.
Friends of the Rail Trail Group
A group with a keen interest in the project is the Friends of the Rail Trail Group. This group is actively seeking more members.
The Friends of the Port Fairy – Warrnambool Rail Trail is a non-profit community organisation.
The Friends of the Port Fairy – Warrnambool Rail Trail is a non-profit community organisation with the following aims:
- To involve the general community and community groups in the development and maintenance of the Rail Trail.
- To enhance the landscape and conservation values of the Rail Trail.
- To promote the use of the Rail Trail.
- To communicate with the Rail Trail Committee the group’s achievements throughout the year and programs for the following year.
- To identify areas where the maintenance of the trail and infrastructure is required.
A monthly work schedule is sent to all local members of the Friends group.
Our working bees are on a Tuesday morning and generally run from 9 AM to 12 Noon with a break for coffee and a sticky bun.
The working bees will include such activities as:
Re-vegetation, weed eradication, and control, mulching of plantings along the trail, protection of remnant vegetation, trail maintenance, infrastructure maintenance, and the building of seats, tables, shelters, and signage for use along the trail.
Information about membership can be obtained by emailing: RTCOMWP@gmail.com
To join the Friends Group please download the membership form and send it to
Port Fairy to Warrnambool Rail Trail
PO Box 1388
Warrnambool VIC 3280
As of 2015 the Friends Group has planted and continues to maintain 35,000 trees, shrubs, and grasses along the trail and continues to plant at least 2,000 plants each year
A number of community groups and companies have taken ownership of sections of the trail and have planted trees and continue to maintain them.
- Port Fairy Casual Riders – Regent Street, Port Fairy
- Warrnambool Bush Walkers – Patterson Street, Koroit
- Lions Club of Koroit Koroit – Railway Station
- St Patricks Primary School – Koroit High Street area, Koroit
- Warrnambool Hash House Harriers – Lanes Lane, Illowa
- Murray Goulburn – Commercial Road area Koroit
- Community Corrections – Princes Highway (North Side) Port Fairy
- Sun Pharma – Princes Highway (South Side) Port Fairy